This is a great dish for the winter months. The prep time is so fast, but the cooking time is sloooooow.
- 2 lamb shanks
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 jar tomato passata
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 sprig Rosemary (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional). You won't notice the turmeric in this recipe. We just add it for its health benefits!
- Salt and pepper to taste. Hint: add your salt and pepper at the end.
- In a large pan, sauté onion and garlic in a little olive oil.
- Add lamb shanks and brown for a few minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, bay leaf, rosemary and turmeric to pan.
- Pour tomato passata over lamb shanks. Add a little extra water until they are just covered.
- Cover pan with ovenproof lid and place in pre-heated oven (200 degrees Celsius) for 2 hours, or until the meat is falling off the bone.
Serve on its own, or with potato or cauliflower mash.
TIP: To boost the fibre content of this meal (and to give it an authentic Italian flavour), add some cooked cannellini beans or pinto beans prior to putting this dish into the oven!