My husband is Calabrian and this is his recipe. He's addicted to the sauce, so when we make this dish he always makes an extra batch of sauce, which he soaks up with fresh crusty bread.
- 2 fillets firm white fish (blue eye cod, snapper, etc)
- 800ml-1L tomato passata
- One onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 anchovies
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- A dozen Kalamata olives
- Salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in a little olive oil until onion softens.
- Add anchovies and sauté for another minute.
- Add passata, capers, bay leaf and oregano.
- Simmer for at least 20 minutes. This sauce gets better with longer simmering!
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place fish fillets in an oven-proof baking dish.
- Spoon sauce over fish until completely covered.
- Sprinkle with a little,dried oregano and top with olives.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven (180 degrees Celsius) for 30 minutes or until fish is cooked through.