I love looking for ways to add flavour and nutrient boosts to the food we make, and this combination works so well! The ginger gives this dish a kick and makes it the perfect winter warmer dish. Turmeric has a vibrant orange pigment, but quite a mild flavour, so you won't even notice you have used it.
- One large sweet potato
- Half butternut pumpkin*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger OR 1 inch nob of fresh ginger finely grated (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Splash of olive oil (optional)
- Peel and dice sweet potato and pumpkin, and boil until cooked.
- Drain water, add ginger and mash (I use a stick blender)
- Season to taste.
Serves 2-4 as a side.
* You can use any type of pumpkin. I prefer butternut pumpkin because it is easier to chop!