Deprivation ain’t fun dahlinks!
As soon as we tell ourselves we can’t have something, what happens? Yup, we feel deprived and start to obsess....
White knuckling your way through your day while you are hungry is just torture, and it’s completely unnecessary.
I have a much better way…
Rather than focussing on what we need to cut out of our diet, I much prefer to "crowd out" the less healthy stuff by adding in lots of delicious, nutritious food!
And there is a LOT of good stuff that we NEED to add in!
Veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, beans, pulses and whole, unprocessed grains top my list!
The scientific evidence for their health benefits of these foods is overwhelming. When you focus on eating more of these nutrient-dense foods each day, you are adding in more vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, healthy fats and fibre! All the good stuff that keeps you energised, healthy and makes your skin glow.
But sadly, the latest Australian Health Survey revealed that Australians are eating way too much junk, way too much salt, and nowhere near enough of the good stuff. Only 4-5% of Australians are consuming the recommended amount of vegetables each day.
So adding these in is an absolute no-brainer!
And let's face it, we all have areas of our daily or weekly food intake where we could be making better choices. But instead of cutting those foods out, CROWD THEM OUT by feasting on vibrant, delicious healthy choices!
When you crowd out the processed, energy-dense-nutrient-bereft stuff by focussing on adding in delicious nutrient-dense plant foods like veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, beans and pulses, a few things start to happen:
1. Your energy:micronutrient ratio will change. So over time you may find that you have gone down a clothes size without even realising! When you start adding in healthy, delicious whole foods, you will be swapping energy-dense-nutrient-bereft "foods" for real foods that are rich in micronutrients (vitamins, minerals and super-healthy phytonutrients), healthy fats and fibre. You get a lot more nutrients and a lot less calories! Have you ever heard of the concept of "overfed but undernourished"? That happens when people regularly consume highly processed, energy-dense-but-micronutrient-bereft processed foods.Their bodies are in a state of overnutrition, but at the same time they may be experiencing micronutrient deficiencies (which may in turn drive them to eat more). And sugary sodas and deep-fried snacks and fast foods are among the worst offenders!
2. Your body will love its new rich supply of vitamins, minerals and healthy phytonutrients. I’ll be writing a lot more about phytonutrients soon. Such a fascinating subject! Science is only just beginning to uncover their benefits. But for now, let me just tell you to expect to see your skin glow, your eyes shine and you had better start practising your gracious response to the compliments that are going to start flowing in!
3. Your palate will adjust over time, so that the highly-processed packaged stuff just doesn't appeal to you anymore. In fact, you may even hear yourself uttering the words “I’m really craving a big colourful salad right now” (and if you do that a nutrition fairy gets her wings!)
4. You will also be consuming more fibre. Now we all know that fibre can make you more, umm, regular. And that's great. But fibre does much, MUCH more than this. The healthy bacteria in our digestive tract need fibre for fuel. You can read more about this here. When our healthy microbiome get enough fuel this can lead to a healthier micro biome and lowered risk of bowel cancer. And the benefits just keep on coming! When you get enough fibre, your body can fully excrete the excess cholesterol and hormone metabolites it needs to eliminate rather than them simply being reabsorbed back through the large intestine, resulting lower cholesterol levels and better hormone stability.
5. And most importantly, if you consistently crowd out the crappy ultraprocessed rubbish with delicious, vibrant veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, beans, pulses and whole, unprocessed grains, you will over time reduce your risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke and many cancers. That means adding more years to your life. And more life to your years!
If you need a bit of inspiration for your "crowding out" journey, check these out:
Click here to read why I NEVER get sick of salad! Once you learn my simple trick you will never get sick of it either!
Click here to learn the difference between a snack and a "sometimes food" treat.
Click here to learn my simple trick to identifying healthy wholegrain products.
Click here to learn by how much you can reduce your disease risk by adding in more fruit and veg!
Click here to learn about the health benefits of eating a healthy amount of nuts every day!
Click here to learn about the dangers of overnutrition, and why I'm so passionate about getting you to crowd out the highly processed, energy-dense-but-micronutrient-bereft junk foods from your diet!
Click here to learn why I want you to crowd out sugary sodas and soft drinks.
GET YOUR FREE PRINTABLE!
I have created a FREE PRINTABLE WORKSHEET to help you plan out what you are going to crowd out, what you are going to add in and how you are going to do it!
It's waiting for you in the Resources Library exclusively available to my email mailing list members!
Sign up to my mailing list HERE to get access to this and more than a dozen other helpful resources.
And if you are already a mailing list member just CLICK HERE and enter the password in my weekly e-newsletters!